Pulp Fan Fiction DIPA - System Wars - Brew Day - Beer Recipe - Video
We love getting our brewing on at BeerCo and when a great customer and friend suggested we do a side by side brew day in the name of research and exploration of new and exciting brewing equipment comparing the Grainfather Connect vs. Robobrew v 2.0 (with Pump) we could not resist or hide our excitement. Special thanks to Andrew @Stass Brewing for his great suggestion and beering with us as we found a mutually free date for the brew day as we set about the most important thing of coming up with a beer and recipe to brew on the day! As luck would have it the Oranges in the back garden were plump and juicy and screaming at me "throw me in an IPA and Pulp me!" So Pulp them we did! Andrew @Stass Brewing got to work on the recipe and I reached out to a friend in our local craft brewing industry who I knew could point us in the right direction. Alana Rees - Innovation Brewer @MountainGoatBeer gave us some excellent tips and pointers as we set out to brew an IPA with Oranges inspired by her own marvelous creations Mountain Goat Beer Pulped Fiction IPA. This strictly limited edition Rare Breed based was based on one of Alana's old homebrew recipes and the commercial release took out a couple of Gold Medals at AIBA2017 including best draught IPA. Here is a live QandA with Alana from the brew day where she talks to us about the beer and her life as a pro-brewer. Ever so helpful and with Alana's guidance Andrew and myself put our own twists and peels on her award winning recipe as we set about designing a recipe we are more than glad to share with you below:
Pulp Fan Fiction DIPA - Recipe
Vital Stats: Beer Smith Predicted
|Brew Vol:||23 litres||Boil Size:||29 Litres|
|OG||18 plato||Boil Time:||80 mins|
|FG||4 plato||End of Boil Vol:||25 Litres|
|IBU||80||Final Vol:||21 Litres|
|8%||0.58||Red Back Wheat||27|
|Dry Hop:||45||Mosaic||11.8%||3 days||2g/L|
|GigaYeast||GY001 Nor Cal Ale #1 GigaYeast||2 gold pitches or 1L starter|
|1 tab||Deltafloc||15 mins||from end of boil|
|Oranges||20g||Fresh Orange Rind||10 mins||from end of boil|
|1 tsp||Yeast Nutrient||10 mins||from end of boil|
|200ml||Rossos Blood Orange Juice||Day 5-7||secondary fermentation|
|15||Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)||Mash|
|Lactic acid||Mash PH 5.40|
- Mash grains at 67° C for 60 mins. Mash out for 10 minutes at 78C
- Sparge with 11.7 Litres of Water at 76 C. 2) Boil for 75-90 minutes, adding the first hops so that they boil for 60 minutes and the secondary additions from 15 minutes to end of boil.
- Pitch with an 1-2L of GigaYeast GY001 Nor Cal Ale #1 Strain or 2 x Gold Pitches
- Ferment at 18-21° C
- Add 200mL Blood Orange Juice and dry hops (45g of Citra and 45g of Mosaic) post primary fermentation and 3 days or 72 hours prior to racking or kegging.
- Keg or Bottle as per your normal process target a keg carbonation of 12.5 psi
- Condition for 4 weeks and enjoy responsibly - Prost!