The Grim RRIPA - an almost bloody Red Rye IPA
There is a wonderful red sunset out tonight - fire red across the sky and the autumn ivy was red as red earlier in the month. The leaves on the apple trees have fallen, the buds are appearing and the winter thaw is about to set in. You turn your thoughts to thinks dark and grim in winter months and there is nothing more grim than 'the grim RRIPA'. Everyone will one day see the man with the scythe come to take them away and if its anything like Monty Python in 'the Meaning of Life' hopefully not after a good dinner party with great home brewed or craft beer spoiled by the Salmon Mousse!!! Oh dear, I shouldn't have used the tinned Salmon dear, oh deah! Yeah! Well the R-RIPA with his Sycthe is a man or woman who cuts some pretty mean grains that we all need to brew some pretty mean brews so here is what I knocked up on a long Queens Birthday weekend while Queenie was enjoying tea and cucumber sandwiches in her castle and walking the corgies around the gardens - smashing! Oh and PS I might have also put down a Metheglin Honey Apple Mead working title "Katie Pie" for my Queen to be shared at a later date for any honey lovers :-) - cheers Stu for the Orange Blossom Honey, Michael @Moonlight Mead for the recipe for Kurt's Apple Pie and let's just see how that turns out before we post that recipe!
Gladfield Malt Bill
- 3.85 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt (64%)
- 850g Gladfield Red Back Malt (14%)
- 600g Gladfield Rye Malt (10%)
- 400g Gladfield Munich Malt (7%)
- 250g Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (4%)
- 120g Gladfield Sour Grapes (Acidulated) Malt (2%)
- 50g Crosby Nugget 14.7% A/A @60 mins
- 35g Organic Chinook 11.6% A/A @15 mins
- 30g Crosby Mt Hood 4.4% A/A @10 mins
- 45g Crosby Crystal 2.7% A/A @5 mins
- 50g Crosby Nugget 14.7% A/A dry hop after primary fermentation @3g/L into secondary (carboy)
- 2 x 11 g Sachets of Lallemand Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Ale Yeast
Mash & Boil & Ferment:
- Mash for 60 mins @ 69 degrees Celsius for a beer with body.
- Boil for 90 mins with Hop additions from 60 mins as per the time guidance.
- wYeast nutrient & Brewbite in the kettle @ 10 mins.
- Chilled and started ferment @18C on a rising tide to 20C.
- Racked into secondary glass carboy and dry hopped at rate of 3g/L with 50g of Nugget for 3 days.
Brew Stats: take with many pinches of salt
Actual 1.066 OG
Target 1.007 FG 1.014 @Racking
60 IBU (and some I think)