Two heads are better than one and here we are trying to put our heads together to come up with a cracking recipe for you to clone your own at home for America's favourite Craft Beer of 2017
as voted by Zymurgy's 15th Annual Reader Survey - Bell's Two Hearted Ale
This beer is so simple in its structure its brilliant and it must be to knock Pliny the Elder off its throne after eight straight years of Russian River Brewing Company’s double IPA Pliny the Elder
dominating the top spot! Enough with the dribble...on with the show....
Two Heads - Pale Ale - BeerCo Recipe
- Batch Size: 19L (5 US Gallon)
- Efficiency: 70% Bitterness: 62 IBU Colour: 5-10 SRM
- Original Gravity: 1.062 Final Gravity: 1.015 Alcohol: 6.2% ABV
- Use 17 litres carbon filtered water, adjusted with 4 grams gypsum.
- Single Infusion Mash @66°C for 45 minutes until conversion is complete (iodine test) then ramp up to 77°C over 15 minutes, rest 10 minutes at 77°C and Vorlauf until clear.
- Collect 25 Litres, sparging with 79°C water.
- Boil vigorously for approx. 75 minutes, hopping at indicated times above from end of boil.
- Whirlpool and allow to settle for 15 minutes.
- Chill wort to 18°C. Aerate wort and pitch Yeast.
- Ferment warm (ale temperature 18-22°C).
- Dry hop 1 week into fermentation.
- Allow beer to stay warm with hops for a week (3 days if you are in a hurry).
- Rack beer, crash cool, and cold age for a week.
- Prime with sugar and bottle or keg and carbonate to your preferred volume of C02 for a hoppy Pale Ale!
Prost! Enjoy and raise a glass to simplicity in brewing and the wonder that a few quality ingredients can bring to you beer and brewing expertise. cheers #brewhappy always :-)
Sources and Inspiration: