Who doesn't love #themule. That great mate who whenever s/he is flying "across the dutch" to Moo Zealand or "across the Pacific" to God Bless Merica! is always willing to go above and beyond the call of duty of mateship and #mule back some superfresh liquid enjoyment. Our beloved "Mule" aka Gus or G Dog! recently returned from a fleeting visit to Seattle, WA where as you do he just strolled into a local supermarket where all the beers were stored cold in fridges and asked the knowledgeable bearded beer guy for his tips and recommendations on some good local fresh craft beer!
Muling this one bomber and a few other fine gems inside well packed insulated check-in all the way home and straight into the fridge we got to enjoy a glass together with some fine food over the Easter long week. Here is our crack at brewing your own at home!
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21 Litres
- Boil Time: 90 mins
- OG 1.070
- FG 1.017
- IBU 51
- ABV 7%
- Colour 9 EBC
- Balance – 0.726 IBU/SG Bitterness Ratio
- Fill clean Kettle with 21 litres of water and pre-boil your water to precipitate our chlorides and chloramines. Add Mash Salts – 10g or 2 tsp of Calcium Sulphate (Gypsum) and 5g or 1 tsp of Calcium Carbonate
- Mill the grains and dough-in targeting a mash of around 3 Litres of water to 1 Kg of grain (a liquor-to-grist ratio of about 3:1 by weight) and a mash temperature of 67 °C (152 °F).
- Hold the mash at 67 °C ( 152 °F ) until enzymatic conversion is complete for around 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Infuse the mash with near boiling water while stirring or with a recirculating mash system raise the temperature to mash out at 76 °C (168 °F). Mash out for 10 minutes.
- Fly sparge slowly with 12 Litres of 76 °C (168 °F ) water, collecting wort until the pre-boil kettle volume is around 25 L (6.5 gallons).
- The total boil time will be 90 minutes. Bring to a rapid rolling boil and make first addition of 20g of Mosaic at 60 mins from end of boil.
Deltafloc or Irish Moss is added with any yeast nutrients at 15 mins remaining on the boil.
- Make second addition of 40g of Mosaic and 30g of Cascade at 5 mins from end of boil.
- At flameout, cool wort to 19°C (67 °F ), decant starter or open Gold Pitch and pitch liquid GigaYeast or 2 x sachets of dry yeast into pre oxygenated wort.
- Over the course of the two-week fermentation, ramp the temperature slowly up to 22°C (72 °F ) to ensure full attenuation.
- On approximately Day 5-7 of fermentation when primary fermentation appears to be complete and secondary fermentation is appearing hit with your first dry hop of 20g of Mosaic and 35g of Cascade for 72 hours (3 days).
- Do a double dry hop of 20g of Mosaic and 35g of Cascade for a further 72 hours (3 days).
- After 2nd dry hop of 3 days, Cold crash, rack off into keg or bottling bucket for immediate carbonation or priming.
- Carbonate this beer to 2.5 volumes of CO2 and serve it #freshas. cheers!
Sauces of brewspiration: