Brewer: John Hayman
John got into brewing following on from his late father. He can remember as a kid being in the kitchen on the stove and adding sugar to the bottles in the laundry. John also remembers 2 old sheds with hundreds of bottles of beer and an explosion or two. From there John got into brewing himself and over the last 4 years has never looked back. John built his own 4 Vessel home brew system and pretty much uses Gladfield Malt exclusively now for all his award winning brews.
One of John's proudest homebrew moments was winning Champion Brewer with an almost clean sweep at Melbourne Brewers Beerfest
2015 and coming 3rd at the Australian Amateur Brewing Championships
with his Russian Imperial Stout American Bourbon Oaked beer, which also won gold at Westgate Brewers Stout Extravaganza 2015
. John loves helping new brewers out and designing new recipes. We guess its John's genetics & microbiology background that contribute to his brewing power! Stay tuned for more great recipes and beers from John in the future. John has recently moved from brewing 'big beers' into 'sours'. The 4 Dogz Brewery name originated from John's love of his 4 HUGE Bernese Mountain Dogs.
The following recipe John is sharing with us was 3rd Place in the peoples choice award and 4th overall for the category in the Bayside Brewers Oktoberfest.
Clearly it was extremely popular with everyone at Oktoberfest and we thank John for sharing his brewing knowledge with our readers and fellow brewers - cheers John!
4DogzBrewery - John Hayman
Manuka Smokin Marzen
- Boil Size: 23.00 l
- Post Boil Volume: 20.00 l
- Batch Size (fermenter): 18.93 l
- Bottling Volume: 18.93 l
- Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
- Estimated Color: 28.1 EBC
- Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBUs
- Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
- Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
- Boil Time: 90 Minutes
- 36.94 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 25.7 IBUs (your could substitute Pacifica NZ Hops)
- 18.15 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 3.4 IBUs (your could substitute Pacifica NZ Hops)
- 1 pkg WLP820 Oktoberfest/Märzen Lager Yeast
You could easily substitute for:
- Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain
- Mash In Add 12.81 l of water at 72.4 C 65.6 C 75min
- Fly sparge with 15.11 l water at 75.6 C
- Start at 10 degrees Celsius - Ramp up over 1 day
- Ferment 12 degrees Celsius for 2 weeks
- Transfer to secondary for 2 weeks and lower gradually over a week to 0.5 degrees Celsius for layering for 1 month.