Choice - New Zealand Pilsner - BeerCo All Grain Recipe Kit - NEW!
We all love a fresh as, crisp as, on point Pilsner, especially a NZ Pilsner - Choice! My Brewing Brothers and Sisters, so when NZ Hops are on point and in good supply we love nothing better than grabbing three of the finest Freshest Choice as Kiwi Hops like Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Wai-iti and popping them in a well balanced all grain BeerCo Kit.
This one is for you cuz! So what are you waiting for? Find out why the world is going mad for Choice | NZ Pilsners. Beached as...
Chur Bro and Sis! Enjoy Responsibly always in the Sunshine! Cheers
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21.0 L US 5 Gallon
- Boil Time: 90 min
- OG 1.053
- FG 1.012
- IBU 41
- ABV 5.4%
- Colour 9 EBC
- Balance - 0.777 IBU/SG
Malteurop Pilsen Malt
|0.50 Kg||Crisp Light Munich Malt||10%||Mash||20.5 EBC|
Crisp Cara Gold Malt
Crisp Dextrin Malt
Motueka NZ Hops
|15 g||Nelson Sauvin NZ Hops||60 min||Boil||Pellet||9.7%|
Wai-iti NZ Hops
|35 g||Motueka NZ Hops||20 mins||Steep/Whirlpool||Pellet||7.7%|
|35 g||Nelson Sauvin NZ Hops||20 mins||Steep/Whirlpool||Pellet||9.7%|
|25 g||Motueka NZ Hops||3 days||Dry Hop at Day 8||Pellet||7.7%|
|25 g||Nelson Sauvin NZ Hops||3 days||Dry Hop at Day 8||Pellet||9.7%|
|25 g||Wai-iti NZ Hops||3 days||Dry Hop at Day 8||Pellet||2.7%|
|25 g||Motueka NZ Hops||3 days||Dry Hop at Day 11||Pellet||7.7%|
|25 g||Nelson Sauvin NZ Hops||3 days||Dry Hop at Day 11||Pellet||9.7%|
|25 g||Wai-iti NZ Hops||3 days||Dry Hop at Day 11||Pellet||2.7%|
- Fermentis SafLager™ S-23 Yeast 11.5g Sachets x 2
GY045 German Lager GigaYeast (Liquid) for a slightly sweeter but clean beer with a malty finish.
- Mash - Single infusion mash at 66.7°C (152°F) for 60 minutes.
- Infuse mash with near boiling water while stirring or with recirculating mash system raise temp to mash out at 75.6°C (168°F)
- Sparge slowly - once again the brewer should do normal regime at around 76°C
- Boil - vigorous boil for 90 mins with first hop additions at 60 mins - 15g each of Motueka and Nelson Sauvin for bittering.
- Steep/Whirlpool hopping - after 90 minutes of vigorous boil chill down and whirlpool or steep for 20 mins with additions of 35g each of Motueka and Nelson Sauvin and 50g of Wai-Iti NZ Hops at 80°C.
- Chill and Oxygenate your Wort ahead of Yeast Pitching - The wort should be chilled to a temperature of 15 °C (60 °F) or below before you pitch your favourite yeast and bring down to fermentation temperature between 10-12°C. [Brewers Note: If you are in a hurry you can ferment at 15°C with neglible effects based on learned experience making fast lagers in a warm warehouse]
- Do a diacetyl rest, by raising the temperature to 16–21 °C (60–70 °F) for a brief period (24–72 hours) after the yeast has nearly finished fermenting the beer. Aim to raise the temperature at around Day 8 or post primary fermentation with 2 plato or 8 specific gravity points left to go on your fermentation. You can do your first of two double dry hops here with additions of 25g of all 3 NZ Hops - Motueka, Nelson and Wai-iti.
- Dry Hops - Your looking to do a double dry hop with two additions of 25g of each hop for 3 days each addition. Again, if your in a hurry to drink some Choice NZ Pilsner do a 50g addition of each hop for 3 days and time that with your Diacetyl rest. Note: Dry Hop Creep is real so wait for 3 days and until your Final Gravity is consistent before crash cooling or conditioning ahead of bottling.
- Conditioning - Rack the beer off the yeast after 2-3 weeks primary and secondary fermentation and dry hopping is complete and cold condition for 7–12 days per each 2 °Plato of original gravity. (One degree Plato is roughly equal to 4 specific gravity “points.”) below 5°C at or near 2°C is ideal.
- Lagering - To Lager is to Store Cold and the longer you Lager or store cold the more your Choice NZ Pilsner will mellow and round out in terms of flavour. Of course if you love fresh as hops and beer you can try a shorter 2 weeks cold conditioning possibly combined with carbonation if your kegging.
Sauces of Brewspiration:
- The Lowdown on Lagering - Brew Your Own
- Doug Donelan - formerly CEO at NZ Hops conversations whilst enjoying a beer at anhc2016
- Tuatara NZ Pilsner
- Hop Federation Brewery NZ | Pilsner