Howzat - Gose - BeerCo All Grain Recipe Kit
Howzat! When you want something that is line and length and pitch perfect every time sometimes you need to turn back time and dig into brewing history for some brewspiration! Howzat | Gose is a classic German style reincarnated that is Leipziger Gose. This spontaneously top-fermented German style wheat beer is an uncommon brew soured via lactic fermentation and flavored with coriander and salt. Just what you need to keep the throat wet when your screaming Howzat! at the Umpire or the Television during the #SummerofCricket #Howzat #Gose better get your brewing on and brew some!
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21 Litres / 5.25 US Gallons
- Boil Time: 90 mins
- OG 1.047
- FG 1.008
- IBU 12
- ABV 5.1%
- Colour 7.2 EBC
Amt Name Colour % Grist
2.00 Kg Malteurop Pilsen Malt 3.8 EBC 40%
2.00 Kg Crisp Wheat Malt 4.8 EBC 40%
0.75 Kg Gladfield Sour Grapes Acidulated Malt 4 EBC 15%
0.25 Kg Rice Hulls n/a 5%
5.00 Kg TOTAL 7.2 EBC 100%
- 45 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrüher GR Hops - Alpha: 2.2% – 60 minutes from end of boil (start of boil)
WildBrew™ Sour Pitch Lactobacillus Plantarum (Frozen) 1 x 10g Sachet
Lallemand Brewing Köln Kölsch Style Ale Yeast 1 x 11.5g Sachet
Add 10 mins from end of Boil.
- 15g fresh ground Coriander Seeds
- 10g Himalayan Pink Salt or Murray River Pink Salt
- 1 tab of Deltafloc or 1 tsp of Irish Moss
Water Adjustments (Optional):
- ½ teaspoonful of calcium chloride and
- ½ teaspoon of calcium sulphate added to the mash per 5 gallons of finished beer.
- Mill the grains, but be sure to keep the acidulated malt separate. Do not mill the rice hulls.
- Dough in all but the acidulated malt using 15 L of water with a target mash holding temperature of 65 °C. Hold the mash temperature for approximately 60 minutes or until the conversion is complete.
- Add the acidulated malt to the mash for an additional 45 minutes. Try to keep the temperature as close to original mash temperature as possible using an available heat source. Anything between 62–65 °C will work.
- Raise the temperature of the mash to 76 °C and begin sparging with 77 °C water until you collect 23 L of wort in the kettle.
- Cool, then add Lactobacillus to the kettle when the wort temperature drops below 35°C. Hold temperature at 32°C, cover with cling wrap or similar airtight lid. Keep the wort at 32° C for 24 - 72 hrs until you get the pH down to 3.2. and let sour for 1–3 days.
- After the wort has soured, boil for 90 minutes. At the onset of a full rolling boil, add your scheduled hop addition. When there are 15 minutes remaining in the boil, be sure to add your Irish moss or Deltafloc tablet to help with precipitation of the hot break. At 10 minutes remaining, add both the ground coriander seed and the salt.
- The coriander seed you add should be fresh and freshly ground. You may even want to toast the seeds in a dry pan for 5–10 minutes like the chefs do to bring out the essential oils.
- You can correct low levels of salt or coriander in the keg or bottling bucket — another reason to start at the low end.
- Cool the wort to 20 °C, transfer to your fermentation vessel and aerate the wort adequately. Add the contents of your yeast starter to the chilled wort. Ferment around 20 °C until the final gravity is reached, which should be in 5 to 7 days.
- Rack to a secondary vessel and allow the beer to mature another 5 to 7 days around the same temperature. Your beer is now ready to rack into a keg or bottles along with the priming sugar.
- Package it up and carbonate to 2.75 volumes of CO2 - much like the Berliner, this should be a highly carbonated, "spritzy" beer!
Food Pairing Suggestions:
- Cheese - fresh chevre and young Asiago's
- Seafood - shrimp and scallop ceviche with mango salsa
BeerCo Recipe Kit Contents:
- Malt & Rice Hulls - 5.0 Kg (Milled or Unmilled - You Choose)
- Hops - 45g Hallertauer Mittelfrüher GR Hops
- Yeast - Liquid
- Yeast - Dry
- WildBrew™ Sour Pitch Lactobacillus Plantarum (Frozen) 1 x 10g Sachet
- Lallemand Brewing Köln Kölsch Style Ale Yeast 1 x 11.5g Sachet
- Adjuncts (Coriander and Salt) and Brewing Aids (Irish Moss or Deltafloc) - not included. Water adjustments optional.