Toby - Vanilla Oatmeal Stout with Cinnamon and Maple Syrup - BeerCo Recipe Kit
Nothing gets you going in the middle of winter like a hearty bowl of Uncle Tobys Oats infused with real PNG Vanilla Bean, some fine Dutch Cinnamon and a hearty dollop of Pure Canadian Maple Syrup on top! So we thought if it's good enough for your breakfast it's also fine in liquid form for your pre or post dinner beer! So here is to your liquid Toby | Vanilla infused Oatmeal Stout spiced with Cinnamon and a hearty dose of pure Canadian Maple. Cheers! Mount the Horses!
Vital Stats – Target
- 1.051 OG / 1.009 FG
- IBU 30
- EBC 70
- 5.6% ABV
- Batch Size: 21 litres
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
- 3.0 Kg / 60% Crisp Best Ale Malt
- 0.5 Kg / 10% Crisp Naked Oat Malt
- 0.5 Kg / 10% Crisp Flaked Torrefied Barley
- 0.5 Kg / 10% Crisp Amber Malt
- 0.5 Kg / 10% Gladfield Light Chocolate Malt
- 5.0 Kg / 100% Grist
Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
- 60 g East Kent Golding UK 60 mins Boil Pellet 4.0%
- 2 x 11g sachets of Nottingham Ale Yeast
- 2 x Whole Vanilla Beans - Grade B (PNG)
- 2 x Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 x 250mL BeerCo Pure Canadian Maple - Finishing Grade
- Single Infusion mash with ration of water: malt of 3:1 at 68°C / 15 Litres of Water to 5.0 Kg of Grain for 1 hour or until mash conversion is complete.
- Mash Out for 10 mins at 76°C
- To begin the sparge, slowly drain and collect 2 litres of wort from the lauter tun, then gently pour this back on top of the grain bed. Repeat twice more; this establishes the grain bed and produces relatively clear initial runnings of wort by filtering out any fine grain particles within the bed.
- Begin the fly sparge, maintaining the sparge water at or just below 76° C. Fly Sparge with 10-13 litres water at 76°C to take up the pre-boil volume to 23-25 litres depending on your boil off rate to finish with 21 Litres in your primary fermentation vessel. We tend to get 2L/hour boil off.
- 60 minutes rolling boil is sufficient. You are welcome to do a 90-minute boil but note the single hop addition starts at 60 minutes from flame out!
- Add Irish Moss or Deltafloc and your Yeast Nutrient 15 minutes from end of Boil.
- Add two fresh Cinnamon Sticks from your local grocer 5 mins from flame out/end of boil.
- Cool and oxygenate the Wort and Pitch Yeast at 18-20°C and let it free rise to 20-22°C.
- Add your 2 x whole Whole Vanilla Beans - Grade B (PNG) post primary fermentation and allow to sit in the beer for at least a week to fully infuse the flavour!
- Add the 250mL BeerCo Pure Canadian Maple - Finishing Grade as a bulk priming agent directly at time of kegging or bottling. Use the ratio of 1.5:1 for Maple Syrup to Sugar for your bulk priming if you are bottling as you will need to use a combination of maple and sugar to prime the entire brew.
- If you are kegging leave for some time at room temperature - suggest 3 days to allow the maple to ferment before cooling and carbonating in your Kegerator.
- 1 tab of Deltafloc or 1 tsp of Irish Moss into the boil @15 mins from end of the boil.
- Servomyces Beer Yeast Nutrient into the boil @15 mins from end of boil.
- Mash all grains at 68º C for 60 minutes or until full starch conversion has been accomplished.
- Sparge – once again the brewer should do normal regime at around 75C
- Boil until formation of hot break is seen then add 60 grams East Kent Golding UK Hops (4% AA) and boil 60 minutes.
- Yeast & Fermentation – Pitch your favourite Irish or UK Stout yeast and ferment around 20-22°C for 10-14 days until fermentation is complete. Remember to add the whole Vanilla Beans post primary for one whole week and use the Maple Syrup as part of your bulk priming or natural keg conditioning to retain maple flavour in the beer.
- Keg or Bottle carbonate to Stout 1.7 – 2.3 volumes of C02 age for 14-30 days and serve in a delightful ale glass – cheers!