Horizon NZ Style Pilsner is an opportunity to try NEW! LalBrew® NovaLager Yeast, modern hybrid yeast in a clean well brewed NZ Brewspired Pilsner. There is no better canvas upon which to test a NEW! Lager Yeast than a clean well brewed Pilsner. So if you love Lager and you love NZ hops you will love Horizon | NZ Pilsner - you chance to taste the new horizon of LalBrew® NovaLager Yeast.
This one is for you cuz! So what are you waiting for?
Chur Bro and Sis! Enjoy Responsibly always in the Sunshine! Cheers
Brewfather App Recipe Link | Horizon NZ Pilsner BeerCo Recipe Kit
This recipe has been generously compiled by Richard from Lallemand Brewing with builds and edits from Dermott at BeerCo.com.au - we Hop you enjoy it! Please give us your feedback to email@example.com
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 23.0 L US 6 Gallon
- Boil Time: 60 min
- OG 1.048
- FG 1.008
- IBU 37
- ABV 5.3%
- Colour 6.5 EBC
- Balance - 0.77 IBU/SG
Dry | Lallemand Brewing
- Mash - Single infusion mash at 65°C (159°F) for 60 minutes at a ratio of 3L of Mash Water to 1Kg of Grain allowing for any mash false bottom approx. 17-18L.
- Infuse mash with near boiling water while stirring or with recirculating mash system raise temp to mash out at 78°C (172°F)
- Sparge slowly - once again the brewer should do normal regime at around 78°C
- Boil - vigorous boil for 60 mins with first hop additions at 60 mins - 45g of Motueka NZ Hop for firm bittering.
- Yeast Nutrient: Optional feed Yeast Nutrient with a tablet of Servomyces 10 mins from end of boil.
- Late Boil hopping - 5 minutes from end of boil add 45g of Riwaka NZ Hops 5 minutes from end of boil.
- Chill down to 82°C (180°F) and whirlpool / hop stand for 20 mins adding 25g each of both Motueka NZ Hops and Riwaka NZ Hops for the whirlpool / hopstand aroma additions.
Chill and Oxygenate your Wort ahead of Yeast Pitching - The wort should be chilled to a temperature of 20 °C (68 °F) or below before you pitch your favourite yeast and bring down to fermentation temperature between 10-12°C. [Brewers Note: If you are in a hurry you can ferment at 15°C with neglible effects based on experience from Lallemand Brewing].
- On Day 7 or when gravity has dropped by over 2/3 to 1.021 or below raise temperature by 3°C and do your 3 days dry hop addition and combined diacetyl rest adding 30g each of both Motueka and Riwaka NZ Hops into the fermenter.
- Do a diacetyl rest, by raising the temperature to 15-18 °C (59–64 °F) for a brief period (24–72 hours) before the yeast has nearly finished fermenting the beer. Aim to raise the temperature at around Day 8 or post primary fermentation with 2 plato or 8 specific gravity points left to go on your fermentation.
- Note: Dry Hop Creep is real so wait for 3 days and until your Final Gravity is consistent before crash cooling or conditioning ahead of bottling.
- Conditioning - Rack the beer off the yeast after 2 weeks primary and secondary fermentation and dry hopping is complete and cold condition for as long as possible. Pilsner Urquell lager for 42 days! Surely you can manage 4 weeks!? Ideally, you should lager this beer for 63 days!
- Lagering - To Lager is to Store Cold and the longer you Lager or store cold the more your Horizon | NZ Pilsner will mellow and round out in terms of flavour. Of course if you love fresh as hops and beer you can try a shorter 2 weeks cold conditioning possibly combined with carbonation if your kegging.
Resources of Brewspiration:
- Special Tanks to Richard Chamberlin | Technical Manager | Oceania at Lallemand Brewing for Recipe Guidance and Formulation.
- Emersons | Pilsner
Other BeerCo NZ Pilsner All Grain Recipe Kits: