Winter's here! Look up into the night sky! Are you Starstruck? Time to chuck another log on the fire and warm up with a Starstruck | Chocolate Milk Stout. Better than a cup of warm cocoa and made with more layers of the finest Crisp Malt than your favourite chocolate gateau cake. East Kent Golding Hops and lashings of lactose milk sugar and cacao nibs combine in your Starstruck Chocolate Milk Stout. Well, what are you waiting for? Time to whip up a Keg or two right away, great in the depths of a cold winter and delicious and sweet in the warmer weather as well.
Cheers! #brewhappy #drinkhappier #enjoyresponsibly
Brewing Software Recipe Links:
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 23 Litres
- Boil Time: 60 mins
- OG 1.057
- FG 1.017
- IBU 29
- ABV 5.3%
- Colour 103 EBC
Amt Name Colour % Grist
3.300 Kg Crisp Maris Otter Malt (6.5 EBC) 60%
0.550 Kg Crisp Dark Munich Malt (40 EBC) 10%
0.550 Kg UniGrain Rolled Barley (3 EBC) 10%
0.275Kg Crisp Dark Crystal 400 Malt (465 EBC) 5%
0.275 Kg Crisp Low Colour Chocolate Malt (450 EBC) 5%
0.275 Kg Crisp Chocolate Malt (1155 EBC) 5%
0.165 Kg Crisp Roast Barley (1470 EBC) 3%
0.110 Kg Crisp Black Malt (1375 EBC) 2%
5.500 Kg TOTAL 100%
- 30 gm East Kent Goldings Alpha: 6.0 % – 60 minute from end of boil addition
- 20 gm East Kent Goldings Alpha: 6.0 % – 15 minutes from end of boil addition
- 20 gm East Kent Goldings Alpha: 6.0 % – 5 minutes from end of boil addition
- Mill the grains and dough-in targeting a mash of around 3 Litres of water to 1 Kg of grain (a liquor-to-grist ratio of about 3:1 by weight or around 18 Litres) and a single infusion temperature of 65 °C (149°F).
- Hold the mash at 67°C (153°F) until enzymatic conversion is complete (45-60 mins).
- Infuse the mash with near boiling water while stirring or with a recirculating mash system raise the temperature to mash out at 76 °C (168 °F). Mash out for 10 minutes.
- Fly Sparge slowly with 12 Litres of 77 °C (170 °F) water, collecting wort until the pre-boil kettle volume is around 25.0 L.
Add 30 gm East Kent Goldings Alpha: 6.0 % at start of vigorous 60 minute boil.
- The total boil time will be 60 minutes.
Add 20 gm East Kent Goldings Alpha: 6.0 % at 15 mins from end of boil. Optional: add Deltafloc tablet or Irish Moss tablet and Yeast Nutrient
Add 20 gm East Kent Goldings Alpha: 6.0 % at 5 mins from end of boil and 350g of Lactose.
- Cool wort and transfer to the primary fermenter oxygenating wort and pitching Liquid GigaYeast or Lallemand Brewing Nottingham Ale yeast at 18° C.
- Allow primary ferment to free ride up to 21-22° C and hold at that temperature.
- Secondary Fermentation - Dry Hop with pre-oven-toasted Cacao nibs 100 gm for 3-5 days. Taste before kegging or bottling.
- Bottle or Keg and carbonate your beer to 2.3 levels of CO2.
- Mature for 2-4 weeks and will continue to mature and mallow over 2-4 months.
- Bring up to beer cellar temperature 8-10°C pour slowly into a goblet glass, put on your slippers and smoking jacket, light a fire, kick back and relax and enjoy responsibly, Prost!
- Food compliments - rich dark brownie, chocolate cake, chocolate puddings, heavy meat dishes e.g. Steak, Hungarian Goulash, Pies and Beef and Lamb Roast.
BeerCo Recipe Kit Contents:
- Malt - 5.5 Kg of Crisp Malt
- Hops - 70g of East Kent Goldings
- Adjuncts - Lactose 350g and 100g of Organic Cacao Nibs
- Yeast - 1 x Liquid Gold Pitches or 2 x Dry Yeast Sachets
Credits & Sauces of Brewspiration: