Black Rock Cider Kit
Black Rock Cider Kit is a sparkling cider with a superb refreshing taste and light golden colour. Harvested from premium pip fruit orchards to produce the taste and clarity demanded by the homebrewer.
- Apple juice concentrate
- New Zealand Artesian Water
- Premium Dry Brewing Yeast Sachet (under the lid)
COLOUR AND EBU
Typical Analysis: NA (Colour), unhopped (Bitterness)
- Thoroughly clean and sterilise all equipment
- Remove the plastic cap and the yeast enclosed under the cap and put to one side
- Stand this can in hot water for 10 minutes to soften contents
- Dissolve contents of can and 1kg of brewing sugar in two litres of hot water in your fermenter. Then add 17 litres of cold water. Mix thoroughly.
- Add 2.5litres of either hot or cold water to get to a final temperature of 18 – 28degC, to avoid damaging the yeast. Final volume 23 litres.
- Open the yeast package and sprinkle yeast over the surface of the liquid. Put the lid on, and the airlock half filled with boiled and cooled water.
- You’ll see fermentation 6 - 12 hours after adding the yeast. Keep the brew at between 18 and 28degC until the specific gravity reaches 1006, or until it has stopped bubbling and hydrometer reading remains constant over 24 hours.
- Fermentation will be complete in 10 to 16 days (approximately).
- If using a clearing agent (finings) add this just before you want fermentation to stop, around 1010 specific gravity.
- Bottling: Sterilise 30 x 750ml bottles and put one rounded teaspoon of normal sugar in each. Fill to within 50mm of the top. If you’re using stubbies, use half the sugar. For a still cider do not add any sugar at this stage.
- Seal bottles and store upright for at least five weeks. The cider may be consumed after five weeks but it’s even better after two months and will continue to improve with age up to 6 months.