GB150 Sour Cherry Funk GigaYeast
GigaYeast Sour Cherry Funk GB150 blend creates an amazing complex, sour beer with fruity cherry esters.
- Mar 29 2019
Best Before date:
- Sep 29 2019
- Blend of 3 Brett strains and Lactic Acid Bacteria
- 20-21 C (68 F to 80 F)
GigaYeast Sour Cherry Funk GB150 creates a tart beer with cherry esters and complex flavours.
14 days at 22 C (71 F) in 1060 sweet wort, Ph 5.0
- Apparent Attenuation–51%
- ABV– 4.1%
- Final Ph– 3.3 (50X acidification)
- 1.9% lactic acid W/V
- Apparent Attenuation–89%
- ABV– 7.1%
- Final Ph– 4 (10X acidification)
- 0.7% lactic acid W/V
General Brewing Notes:
This blend creates an amazing complex, sour beer with fruity cherry esters. Fermenting in the presence of 7-10 IBUs will cause the fermentation to complete much more quickly but will slow the souring — expect to wait 3-4 months for significant souring. Fermenting with zero or less than 5 IBUs will allow souring to happen much faster (within two weeks) but will cause the fermentation to take up to 4 weeks to complete.Craft Beer Examples:
Other top rated products
- Enigma AU HopsEnigma™ AU Hops5.0 star rating(5)
- Ella AU HopsElla™ AU Hops4.0 star rating(3)
- GY094 German Ale GigaYeastGY094 German Ale GigaYeast - NEW!4.0 star rating(1)
- Malteurop Pilsen MaltMalteurop Pilsen Malt5.0 star rating(2)
- Galaxy™ AU Hops5.0 star rating(24)
- Citra® US Hops - Brand HBC 3944.95555 star rating(45)
- Mosaic® HBC 369 US Hops4.95652 star rating(23)
- Amarillo® VGXP01 CV. US Hops5.0 star rating(12)
Kept the recipe pretty simple to let the yeast do the talking:
Gravity 1.051, batch size 22L
60% Gladfields Ale
35% Gladfields Wheat
Bittered to 2.5 IBU with Hallertauer Hersbrucker
Pitched the huge packet of yeast (seriously, 200 billion cells??) into the wort at about 18C. Didn't use temp control for the ferment, just whatever the garage was at, would have stayed close to 18C except for a couple of days where the temp go above 30.
Fermentation took off very quickly , somewhere around 12 hours, and was super vigorous. I'd recommend using a blow off tube so you don't make as much mess as I did. It remained vigorous for around 5 days then slowed down but continued to show plenty of airlock action for another week.
20 days in now and there is no more krausen and no pelicle, you can see the odd co2 bubble rising up and the top inch of the wort has started to clear.
I figured now is as good a time as any to have a taste so pulled a sample, the gravity has dropped from 1.051 to 1.004 (measured with a calibrated refractometer), an apparent attenuation of 92% and an abv of 6.3%. Taste wise it's only slightly tart (probably due to the low fermentation temp), and has a really interesting funky fruity flavour. I definitely get a bit of cherry but not the candy cherry flavour like in a Kriek, more subtle. The barnyardyness (yep, I'm pretty sure its a word) is not overpowering but adds a good edge of funk to the mix.
I'm going to give it another two weeks to see how much more it clears up before I bottle, very happy with the results so far but for the next brew I'll probably dose it with straight lacto first then pitch the sour cherry funk after 24 hours to up the acidity.