GY018 Saison #1 GigaYeast
GigaYeast Saison #1 GY018 is a traditional Saison yeast from a French craft brewery. GY018 produces fragrant beer with pepper and fruit notes. Warmer fermentations create more intense flavours. Saison #1 GY018 GigaYeast is perfect for accentuating citrus and fruit flavours. High attenuation rates make a dryer beer than GY027 Saison #2 GigaYeast.
Attenuation Medium Gravity*
- 81% – 83%
Attenuation High Gravity*
- 49% – 53% (6.2% – 6.8% ABV)
- 18˚C – 27˚C (64˚F – 80˚F)
Representative Beer Styles:
- Farmhouse Ale
- Belgian Ale
- Biere De Garde
Other top rated products
- Enigma AU HopsEnigma™ AU Hops5.0 star rating(5)
- Ella AU HopsElla™ AU Hops4.0 star rating(3)
- GY094 German Ale GigaYeastGY094 German Ale GigaYeast - NEW!4.0 star rating(1)
- Malteurop Pilsen MaltMalteurop Pilsen Malt5.0 star rating(2)
- Galaxy™ AU Hops5.0 star rating(24)
- Citra® US Hops - Brand HBC 3944.95555 star rating(45)
- Mosaic® HBC 369 US Hops4.95652 star rating(23)
- Amarillo® VGXP01 CV. US Hops5.0 star rating(12)
85% Gladfield German Pilsner
10% Rolled Wheat
5% Gladfield Gladiator
0.5g/L Columbus @ 60m (18IBU)
1g/L Willamette @ 10m (3.5IBU)
1g/L Grains of Paradise @ 10m
Mashed high at 68C for 60 mins and performed a 90 minute boil. Fermented at 24C.
This is by far the best saison I have ever made. The subtleties of the malts and hops, with a hint of the GOP sit in the background but are certainly known. But I can not get over the complexities and nuances that the yeast has added to this beer. On the nose, there is some slightly sweet phenolics that lend little funk. The flavour has a slight Belgian witbier-like ester character, while having a zesty spice and dry finish. The beer finished at 1.004 due to the high mash temp which I think really brings this beer together. I will not use any other yeast for my saisons from now on. This is as good as it gets.
It gets better, I split the batch, and pitched some GB001 Brett Brux. to the other half. In 6 months I am going to have something amazing to look forward to.