Grown exclusively by CLS Farms, Zappa™ is a 100% neomexicanus aroma hop from the mountains of New Mexico. Evolving independently, Zappa™, has developed its own rebellious aroma and unique flavor characteristics.
Named after Frank Zappa, in collaboration with the Zappa family, this hop is as counter culture as the musician himself. Zappa™ is described as having unique spiciness, coupled with full on mango, backed by a sharp citrus, delightful savory and strong deciduous pine characteristics.
Zappa™ is a native, NorthAmerican, Humulus Lupulus var. neomexicanus, recovered from the wild in New Mexico.
- 250g (SAVE 10% OFF 100g Price)
- 500g (SAVE 15% OFF 100g Price)
- 1 Kg (SAVE 20% OFF 100g Price)
- 5 Kg (SAVE 30% OFF 100g Price)
- Aroma, whirlpool, and dry hopping for any hop- or complementary fruit-forward style: hazy or milkshake IPA, fruited sour, pale ale, American strong ale, and wild or mixed-fermentation beers.
- Tropical fruits
- Spicy with strong notes of tropical fruit (mango, passion fruit), citrus, and pine. Additional descriptors include savory, mint, and Fruity Pebbles™
- American-style Ales
- Cream Ale
- Pale Ale
- IPA including Hazy or Milkshake
- Fruited Sours
- Wild or Mixed Fermentation
Typical Brewing Specification:
- Harvest: 2019 100g 250g 500g 1Kg
- Lot Identification: 1570
- Alpha Acids: 4.2%
- Oil content: 1.3%
- Alpha Acid Range 6-8%
- Beta Acid Range 8-9%
- Co-Humulone as % of Alpha 40-45%
- Total Oil mL/100 g 1.8-2.5%
- Harvest: 2020 (5Kgs)
- Lot Identification: Zappa 20-399-019
- Date Tested: 10/2/2020
- Sample Type: Hop Pellet
- Alpha Acids: 5.5%
- Beta Acids: 6.9%
- HSI: 0.308
- 1.0 mis of oil per 100g =1.0%
General Trade Perception
- A unique spiciness, coupled with full-on mango, backed by a sharp citrus, delightful savory, and strong deciduous pine” characteristics, and says that he still finds himself adding descriptors.
Craft Beer Examples with Zappa
Welcome Zappa™️, a 100% neomexicanus aroma hop grown exclusively by CLS Farms.
Very few hops can boast being pure, wild, American. These rebel hops are native to the mountains of New Mexico. They weren’t crossed with conventional varieties by early settlers, or developed by white coats in a lab, they figured it out all on their own, right here in the real world.
Named after Frank Zappa, in collaboration with the Zappa family, this hop is as counter culture as the musician himself. Singled out by Tom Nielsen of Sierra Nevada and brought to production by Eric Desmarais of CLS Farms. Tom described it as having “a unique spiciness, coupled with full-on mango, backed by a sharp citrus, delightful savory, and strong deciduous pine” characteristics, and says that he still finds himself adding descriptors.
CLS Farms subjected Zappa™️ to a harvest-long list of brewers who visited the farm. Their descriptions were: passionfruit, mint, impulsive, purple, spice, fresh, savory, tropical, and fruity pebbles. Zappa™️ seems to speak to everyone a little differently, just like Frank. Championing the notion of free expression by not falling easily into any singular description, and coming to fruition during a time when its innovative characteristics can be explored and savored.