Brexit - XX Bitter Ale - BeerCo All Grain Recipe Kit
England's Bitter - she wants out of the EU and we all love an XX British Bitter Ale so why not brew something quintessentially british old chap like an XX English Bitter Ale to celebrate the former Lord Mayor of London, and now PM, Boris calling on his fellow Brits to dessert the Eurozone and once again reign supreme as Great Britain and not little England.
I don't want to change the world
I'm not looking for a new England
I'm just looking for another girl
Billy Bragg |A New England lyrics, 1983 © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
an All Grain XX British Bitter by Dermott Dowling
- 1.058 OG / 1.012 FG
- 52 IBU 21 EBC 6.1% ABV
- Batch Size 21.0 L
- Boil Time 60 min
- 5.0 Kg Crisp Finest Maris Otter® Ale Malt 85%
- 0.9 Kg Crisp Amber Malt 15%
- 5.9 Kg Total Malt Bill 100%
Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
- 85 g Challenger UK Hops 60 mins Boil Pellet 5.1 %
- 1 x Gold Pitch of GY011 British Ale #1 GigaYeast or
- 1 x Gold Pitch of GY031 British Ale #2 GigaYeast or
- 2 x 11g sachets of Lallemand Brewing Nottingham Ale Yeast
- Mash – the brewer should do normal mash regime, mashing at 64-5 C for at least 60 mins. Use approx. ratio of 3:1 3L of water to 1 Kg of Grain, or 17.4 Litres.
- Heat the Mash to Mash Out Temperature 76C for 10 minutes mash out.
- Sparge – Fly sparge with enough water (approx. 13.3 Litres) at 76 C to get your start of boil volume to approx. 23L (allow roughly 2L boil off rate per hour).
- Boil – vigorous boil for 60 mins adding 85 g of Challenger UK Hops for the full 60 mins, at start of the rolling boil.
- When the boil is complete, cool to about 21 C and pitch the Yeast.
Brewing Aids (optional not included in Kit):
- 1 tab of Deltafloc into the boil @10 mins from end of Boil
- Add Servomyces Beer Yeast Nutrient into the boil @10 mins
- Ferment for a full 7 days at about 18 C, then rack to a secondary for a further 5-7 days before racking to Keg or Bottling.
- Keg or Bottle carbonate to 2.4 volumes of C02 age for 14-21 days and serve in a Bold British Pint glass – cheers!