England's Bitter - she wants out of the EU and we all love an XX British Bitter Ale so why not brew something quintessentially british old chap like an XX English Bitter Ale to celebrate the former Lord Mayor of London, and now PM, Boris calling on his fellow Brits to dessert the Eurozone and once again reign supreme as Great Britain and not little England.
I don't want to change the world
I'm not looking for a new England
I'm just looking for another girl
Billy Bragg | A New England lyrics, 1983 © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
an All Grain XX British Bitter
- 1.058 OG / 1.012 FG
- 52 IBU 21 EBC 6.1% ABV
Batch Size 21.0 L
Boil Time 60 min
Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
Dry | Lallemand
- Mash – the brewer should do normal mash regime, mashing at 64-5 C for at least 60 mins. Use approx. ratio of 3:1 3L of water to 1 Kg of Grain, or 17.4 Litres.
- Heat the Mash to Mash Out Temperature 76C for 10 minutes mash out.
- Sparge – Fly sparge with enough water (approx. 13.3 Litres) at 76 C to get your start of boil volume to approx. 23L (allow roughly 2L boil off rate per hour).
- Boil – vigorous boil for 60 mins adding 85 g of Challenger UK Hops for the full 60 mins, at start of the rolling boil.
- When the boil is complete, cool to about 21 C and pitch the Yeast.
Brewing Aids (optional not included in Kit):
- Ferment for a full 7 days at about 18 C, then rack to a secondary for a further 5-7 days before racking to Keg or Bottling.
- Keg or Bottle carbonate to 2.4 volumes of C02 age for 14-21 days and serve in a Bold British Pint glass – cheers!