Gladfield RedBack Malt
RedBack Malt is a unique malt made by Gladfield. It is prepared by a special process before going into the roaster, where it is roasted to favour certain maillard reactions which cause the malt to produce a lovely red hue in the resulting beer without the opalescence that can occur with other similar malts. In other words the wort colour is bright with good clarity but most of all a lovely red colour. RedBack goes well with Gladfield Ale and Aurora malt which is a melanoidin malt.
How does it taste?
- Caramel, candied prune, with a slight bitter orange flavour.
What does it add to the beer?
- Increases body and head retention.
- Moisture (%) Max <6
- Extract - Fine Dry 78
- Wort Colour Range (EBC) 60 – 80
- Typical Wort Colour (EBC) 65
Typical Uses & Styles:
- Adds malty, dried fruit and toasted malt flavours with red hues
- Irish Red Ales
- Red Rye IPA - see Grim RRIPA Home Brew Recipe example
- India Red Ales - see craft beer example Mountain Goat India Red Ale and videoblog on how to brew it here: 3 Blokes Talk about Beer & Malt
- American Amber Ales
Usage Rate Guidance:
- Up to 15% of the grist
- 1 Kg
- 5 Kg (SAVE 20% on 1Kg Price)
- 25 Kg (SAVE 40% on 1Kg Price)
Shelf Life:At least one year when stored properly in dry conditions
Other top rated products
- Enigma AU HopsEnigma™ AU Hops5.0 star rating(5)
- Ella AU HopsElla™ AU Hops4.0 star rating(3)
- GY094 German Ale GigaYeastGY094 German Ale GigaYeast - NEW!4.0 star rating(1)
- Malteurop Pilsen MaltMalteurop Pilsen Malt5.0 star rating(2)
- Galaxy™ AU Hops5.0 star rating(24)
- Citra® US Hops - Brand HBC 3944.95555 star rating(45)
- Mosaic® HBC 369 US Hops4.95652 star rating(23)
- Amarillo® VGXP01 CV. US Hops5.0 star rating(12)
Good price too, on par with the not so local home brew shop.