Gladfield Rye Malt is produced from Canterbury, New Zealand grown rye corn. Rye does not have an outer husk so it benefits from a finer mill setting than malted barley. The rye is malted with the same care as Gladfield other malts and modifies beautifully in the kiln.
Rye is a popular adjunct in a variety of beer styles from traditional German Rogenbier to Rye IPAs. Rye is also commonly used in American Style Whisky.
Rye brings a spicy character to your beers and whisky!
- 1 Kg Bag
- 5 Kg Bag (SAVE 20% OFF 1Kg Price)
- 25 Kg Sack (SAVE 32% OFF 1Kg Price)
Typical Beer & Whisky Styles:
- American Style Whisky (Bourbon)
- Rye Whisky
Typical Usage Rates:
- Gives colour, spicy flavours and a clean, dry mouth feel.
- Recommend starting with 10%, can then be increased up to 50% for more rye flavour.
- Note: Rye contains a lot of betaglucans and does not have a husk so high usage rates advice is to use enzymes and/or Rice Hulls to prevent a stuck mash or sparge.
Certificate of Analysis:
|EBC Test Method
|Moisture (typixL max) %
|Extract – Fine Dry min%
||4 - 10 EBC
|Total Nitrogen (%)
||1.6% - 1.9%
||40 - 60
||5.7 - 6.2