Some people like it Cold! Like the Ice Man Wim Hof! Here we give you a Wester than West Coast IPA or Cold IPA. Made with 80% Australian Malteurop Pilsen Malt and 20% Crisp Flaked Maize and lashings of piney dank US Hops like Strata, Amarillo and Centennial and fermented nice and clean and dry with a Lager Yeast.
Hof | Cold IPA is Wester than West Coast, bone dry and crystal clear - the antithesis of NEIPA. Are you keen to try it Ice Man?
Give Hof | Cold IPA a "review after you brew happy" and make sure you #brewhappy and #drinkhappier and always responsibly! cheers...now on with the show!
Brewing Software Recipe Links:
Hof | Cold IPA
an American Style India Pale Ale by Dermott Dowling (Aug 2021)
- 1.066 OG
- 1.012 FG
- 72 IBU
- 7 EBC
- 7.10% ABV
- 1.09 Balance
- 23 litre brew length
- 60 minute boil
- Single Infusion Mash - 72% Efficiency
- Mash – the brewer should do their normal infusion mash at 67° C for 45 mins to 1 hour and check with an iodine test conversion is complete.
- Raise the temperature to 76° C and mash out for 10 minutes before volaufing Fly Sparge with hot liquor at 76° C to collect approximately 25 L of wort into the kettle for a vigorous boil 60-90 minutes, adding 1st hops addition at 60 minutes from end of boil.
- Second hops additions at 10 minutes from end of boil along with a tablet of Deltafloc and any Yeast Nutrients (optional extras) to aid wort clarification and fermentation.
- Whirlpool Hops: Chill to 78° C and add 40g of each hop Amarillo, Chinook and Strata and whirlpool at a constant temperature of 78° C for 20 minutes before further chilling down to fermentation temperature of 18-21° C.
- Pitch Yeast & Fermentation – Aerate well and ferment at 18-21°C taking note to observe when High Krausen or vigourous primary feremtnation is complete.
- Yeast off and add the final dry hop additions of 40g each of Amarillo and Strata and 20g of Chinook for 3-5 days until terminal gravity is reached (2 days of consistent hydrometer readings).
- Crash chill as close to 1°C and hold until all the hops and haze have cleared.
- Keg and Bottle as per normal. Carbonate the beer to 2.5 volumes (5 g/L)
- Mature for 10-14 days in bottle or Keg before consumption.
Sauces of Brewspiration and further reading and listening on Cold IPA: