Everyone has a craft beer epiphany – yours could be sitting on the front or back deck with a Sundowner, or a Golden Ale at the pub or if you live somewhere near Maine in the US it might be an Epiphany from Foundation Brewing Company – a Maine IPA or a Maineliner as we are going to call this take on their new style. Sounds so good we thought you better brew your own at home and pay tribute to the creators of styles and givers of craft beer epiphanies – cheers you Mainelanders!
Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
- 14B-India Pale Ale(IPA)-American IPA
- 068 OG 1.017 FG
- 70 IBU 3 SRM
- 7% ABV Mash Efficiency: 70 % Boil Duration: 60 mins
- Fermentation Temperature: 18 degrees Celsius
Total Grain Bill
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
Columbus 12.0 % 35 gm 40 Loose Pellet Hops 60 mins – start of boil
Columbus 12.0 % 20 gm 13 Loose Pellet Hops 15 mins – from end of boil + 20g dry hop 72 hours from end of fermentation
Cascade 5.1 % 20 gm 4 Loose Pellet Hops 10 mins – from End of Boil + 40g dry hop 72 hours from end of fermentation
Simcoe 14.1 % 20 gm 6 Loose Pellet Hops 5 mins – from end of boil + 20g dry hop 72 hours from end of fermentation
- Mash – the brewer should do normal mash regime, mashing at 66 C for at least 65 mins
- Sparge – once again the brewer should do normal regime at around 76C
- Boil – vigorous boil for 60 mins
- Hops: Add 35g of Columbus or clean bittering hops @60 mins, 20g of Columbus @15 mins, 20g of Cascade @10 mins and 20 g of Simcoe @ 5 mins from end of boil.
- Pitch Yeast & Fermentation – Aerate well and ferment at 18 C until FG is reached or terminal gravity is table for two days.
- Yeast off and dry hop after primary for 72 hours with 1g/L of Columbus and Simcoe and 2g/L of Cascade.
- Crash chill and bottle or keg as normal.
- Mature for 10 days before carbonating.
Sauces of Brewspiration:
BeerCo All Grain Recipe Kit Contents:
- 6.5 Kg Malt (Milled or Unmilled)
- 55 gm Columbus
- 60 gm Cascade
- 40 gm Simcoe
DRY: 2 x Sachets of M54 Mangrove Jack’s California Lager Yeast or
- LIQUID: Omega Yeast OYL-052 DIPA