Nelson Sauvin Hops is a triploid dual-purpose variety bred from the New Zealand variety “Smoothcone” and released in 2000. The variety is known for its white-wine "fruitiness" character that is very noticeable and distinctive in beer. The essential oil profile displays “fresh crushed gooseberries” a descriptor often used for the grape variety Sauvignon Blanc, giving rise to this variety’s name.
- 250g (SAVE 10% OFF 100g Price)
- 500g (SAVE 15% OFF 100g Price)
- 1 Kg (SAVE 20% OFF 100g Price)
- 5 Kg (SAVE 30% OFF 100g Price)
Described during selection as “breathtaking” Nelson Sauvin has the unique ability to impart a distinctive cool climate white wine “fruitiness”. The complexity of the oils profile has seen selectors stretched looking for descriptors to document this unique new world variety.
A hop that may require judicious application in the brew house, this truly unique dual-purpose variety can be used to produce big punchy Ales as well as subtle aroma driven Lagers. The fruitiness may be a little overpowering for the uninitiated, however those with a penchant for bold hop character will find several applications for this true brewer's hop.
“Quintessentially New Zealand”
Very much at home in the new-world styles such as American Pale Ale and IPA’s. This hop is considered by some as being extreme and it certainly makes it presence felt in speciality craft and seasonal beers while having gained a considerable international reputation in recent times.
- Harvest: 2022 Batch: 22278-1 Moisture 8.70% Alpha Acids 9.3% Beta Acids 5.69% HSI 0.26 ON SPECIAL PRICE!
- Harvest 2023 Batch: 23103 Alpha Acids 12.96% Beta Acids 6.59% HSI 0.24 Moisture 9.09%
Typical HPLC & Oil Composition (Measured within 6 months of harvest, stored at 0 ºC)
- Alpha Acids 11-13%
- Beta Acids 6-8%
- Cohumulone 24% of Alpha Acids
- Total Oil 1.1 ml oil per 100gm cone weight
- Concentration 79 uL Oil/gram Alpha
- Myrcene 22.2%
- Humulene 36.4%
- Caryophyllene 10.7%
- Farnesene 0.4%
- Citrus-Piney Fraction 7.8%
- Floral Estery Fraction 2.8%
- H/C Ratio 3.6
- Other 14%
Craft Beers featuring Nelson Sauvin NZ Hops: