Bonny Spiced Rum Spice Mix
This spice mix is comes from the Distillers Kit: Bonny Spiced Rum
But it can be used to make your own spiced rum, with a Bundaberg Molasses wash or CSR Manufacturers White Sugar wash.
Spice Mix includes:
Other Botanicals that you could use to complement these can be found here: Botanicals
Also think about aging with with our range of Oak Products
Spice Mix Infusing Options:
Method 1 -
- Complete a stripping run and a distilling run
- Soak the Bonny Spice Mix in at least 50%ABV spirit (remember to shave nutmeg and cut the vanilla bean length ways)
- Leave for 4-5 days depending on the intensity of flavour you like. Shake every hour or so for first day and every now and them for the remainder.
- **NOTE** The longer you leave the more flavour you will extract, however some flavours could become more prominent then others.
- **ALTERNATIVE** Use a little molasses sugar to back sweeten and enhance the fruit flavours.
- **ALTERNATIVE** Use some oak chips to add extra flavour and for aging
Method 2 -
- Clean the botanicals by either soaking in Spirit above 50%ABV for a couple of hours to overnight or sanitise using Super Kill Sanitiser Spray
- Before commencing the Spirit Run put the Bonny Spice Mix into a Still Spirits Botanical Basket or Air Still Infusion Basket or Muslin Cloth and commence a spirit run taking cuts and noting the different flavour profiles merging.
- **NOTE** Remember to shave the Nutmeg and cut the vanilla bean length ways to get the best flavour.
- **ALTERNATIVE** You can simply add the spice mix to the wash without using the basket however you do run the risk of burning them and the off flavours coming through.
Method 3 -
- Separate the Bonny Spice Mix and macerate them individually in at least 50%ABV spirit using Kilner Glass Jars.
- Leave for 4-5 days up to several weeks depending on the intensity of flavour you like. Shake every hour or so for first day and every now and them for the remainder.
- Regularly taste till desired flavour is reached, then blend the botanicals together.
- **ALTRERNATIVE** After blending the botanicals together run through the still once more to bind the flavours together and create a clear spirit.