Topaz™ is a rare gem. Cultivar Number TC-85-70 Topaz™ is down to earth or bright and breezy, depending on how you apply her in your brew. Dry hopping with Topaz ™ results in resinous, grassy flavours; however, with later additions and in higher gravity brews, her true flavour qualities really begin to shine, as her pleasant, light tropical fruit (some say lychee) flavours become more pronounced. When ranked among other single hop beers by tasters at Brau 2012, Topaz™ was the most preferred.
- 250g (Save 10% on 100g price)
- 500g (Save 15% on 100g price)
- 1Kg (Save 20% on 100g price)
- 5 Kg Box (Save 30% on 100g price)
Topaz™ was an undiscovered gem for some time. A child of the 80s, born in the pursuit of high yields of alpha acid, the progeny was a big robust plant with a superb aroma, grown commercially for many years purely for alpha acid production. However she really started to shine at trade shows during 2007 and 2008, where brewing experts and novices alike were drawn to her superb aroma and consistently rated Topaz™ top-hop. Topaz™ was then presented to brewers for further assessment as a late and/or dry hop addition and from that point on, the flavour Topaz™ was increasingly found in beers around the world. Her hop ancestry heralds from an existing Australian high alpha acid variety crossed with pollen from a Wye college male – which provided an interesting mix of English, continental European and north American heritage.
- Grassy Flavours
- Light Tropical Fruit
Crop Year: 2022 Batch: TW 167 Hop Oil: 2.0mL/100g Alpha Acid: 19.8% ON SPECIAL PRICE!
Crop: 2023 Batch: TY 182 Hop Oil: 1.6 mL/100g Alpha Acid: 19.7%
TYPICAL ANALYTICAL DATA
- Alpha acids (%) 19.8
- Beta acids (%) 6.4 - 7.9
- Alpha/Beta Ratio 2.1 - 2.6
- Cohumulone (% of alpha acid) 48 - 51
- Total Oils (ml/100g) 1.7 - 2.2
- Oil Concentration (microlitres of oil/g alpha)
- 124 - 161 Myrcene (% of whole oil) 34 - 56
- Linalool (% of whole oil) 0.3 - 0.6
- Caryophyllene (% of whole oil) 7 - 13
- Farnesene (% of whole oil) 0 - 1
- Humulene (% of whole oil) 8 - 13
- Selinene (% of whole oil) 1 - 3
- Humulene/Caryophyllene ratio 1.0 - 1.8
The flavour contributed by Topaz ™ is modulated by the specific combination of malt, yeast, brewing and fermentation conditions, with the lighter tropical fruit characters more pronounced in higher gravity brews.
Craft Beer Examples