Garage - Hefe - BeerCo Recipe Kit
Sun's out and your looking to Don the Lederhosen, roll out the barrel, fire up the Oompah Band and celebrate the onset of warmer climes. When your doing your Spring cleaning and clearing out the Garage it is time to fire up the kettle and brew up some Hefe to keep the neighbours and friends and family happy and your whistle wet! Prost!
Cheers! #brewhappy #drinkhappier #enjoyresponsibly #isitOktoberfestyet?
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21 Litres / 5.25 US Gallons
- Boil Time: 90 mins
- OG 1.049
- FG 1.008
- IBU 15
- ABV 5.4%
- Colour 7 EBC
Amt Name Colour % Grist
2.5 Kg Pilsner Malt (3.8 EBC) 56%
2.0 Kg Wheat Malt (4.2 EBC) 44%
4.5 Kg TOTAL 7 EBC 100%
- 10 gm Wakatu NZ Hop Pellets - Alpha: 7.8 % – 60 minutes boil addition
- 10 gm Wakatu NZ Hop Pellets - Alpha: 7.8 % – 10 minutes from end of boil
- GY017 Bavarian Hefe GigaYeast - 1 x Gold Pitch
Fermentis SafAle™ WB-06 (Dry) 2 x 11.5 g Sachets
- Mill the grains and dough-in targeting a mash of around 3 Litres of water to 1Kg of grain (a liquor-to-grist ratio of about 3:1 by weight). If you want to do a step mash (not required), start with a rest at 43 °C for 20 minutes and then raise to a temperature of 67 °C until conversion is complete. Otherwise, do a single infusion mash at 66 °C until enzymatic conversion is complete.
- Infuse the mash with near boiling water while stirring or with a recirculating mash system raise the temperature to mash out at 76 °C.
- Sparge slowly with 77 °C water (est. 16.5L), collecting wort until the pre-boil kettle volume is around 25 L.
- Boil: 90 minutes. 1st Wakatu NZ Hop of 10g at 60 min and 2nd Wakatu Hop addition of another 10 g at 10 min. Add your Yeast Nutrient at the same time. You can skip a Deltafloc or Irish Moss addition unless you are wanting to make a Kristallweizen (clear weissbier).
Cool wort and transfer to the primary fermenter oxygenating wort and pitching Liquid GigaYeast GY017 or Fermentis WB-06 Dry Yeast at 18° C
Ferment at 17 °C until the beer attenuates fully. With healthy yeast, fermentation should be complete in a week, but do not rush it. The cooler than average ale fermentation temperature can extend the time it takes for complete attenuation.
Rack to a keg and force carbonate or rack to a bottling bucket, add priming sugar, and bottle. Target a carbonation level of 2.5 to 3 volumes.
Optional Extra: Dry hop with ≤2 g/L Wakatu for approximately 3 days at end of primary fermentation, starting at the end of primary fermentation or terminal gravity and before cold conditioning.
Drink Fresh in a tradition tall German Stem Weizenbier glass. Prost!
Food pairing - A Multitude of foods pair nicely with Hefeweizen, a German-style wheat beer with lots of bubbles and a slightly sweet, fruity flavor. You might like to try any or all of the following food pairings - Watermelon and Tomato Salad, Lobster & Avocado Salad, Smashed Beets with Goats Cheese, Prawns, Smoked Salmon, Raspberry Shortcakes and Banana Pudding.
BeerCo Recipe Kit Contents:
- Malt - 4.5Kg (Milled or Unmilled - You Choose)
- Hops - 20g Wakatu NZ Type Hop Pellets
- Yeast - 1 x Liquid Gold Pitch of GY017 Bavarian Hefe GigaYeast or 2 x 11.5g Dry Yeast Sachets of Fermentis Safale WB-06