Milli - Vanilla Porter - BeerCo Recipe Kit
Milli | Vanilla Porter is no Milli Vanilli. No imitation essence or extract involved here, we are talking about a smooth robust full bodied English Style Porter pumped up to the Max with some of PNG finest Vanilla planifolia beans dry hopped into the secondary to add a sensational spiced vanilla song to up an already well rounded out beer. You can break out some of your favourite Milli Vanilli beats while you brew this one or hum your own tunes fireside as you warm up your brewing and social life with family and friends.
Cheers! Prost #brewhappy always #enjoyresponsibly
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21 Litres / 5.25 US Gallons
- Boil Time: 90 mins
- OG 1.054
- FG 1.012
- IBU 36
- ABV 5.6%
- Colour 73 EBC
Amt Name Colour % Grist
4.00 Kg Crisp Chevallier Malt 6.5 EBC 75%
0.50 Kg Crisp Flaked Torrefied Barley 3.4 EBC 10%
0.25 Kg Crisp Amber Malt 50 EBC 5%
0.25 Kg Crisp Low Colour Chocolate Malt 500 EBC 5%
0.25 Kg Crisp Black Malt 1500 EBC 5%
5.25 Kg TOTAL 73 EBC 100%
- 10 gm Sabro US Hops - Alpha: 15.1% - 60 minutes from end of boil
- 10 gm Sabro US Hops - Alpha: 15.1% - 15 minutes from end of boil
- 10 gm Sabro US Hops - Alpha: 15.1% - 0 minutes from end of boil
- GY031 British Ale #2 GigaYeast - 1 x Gold Pitch
- Lallemand | Nottingham Ale Yeast - 2 x 11g Sachets
- 2 x PNG Grade B Vanilla Beans (whole)
Water Adjustments (Optional):
- ½ teaspoonful of calcium chloride and
- ½ teaspoon of calcium sulphate added to the mash per 5 gallons of finished beer.
- Mill the Grains (excluding the flaked barley). Mix the Flaked Barley into the grist post milling.
- Mash In - Dough in your normal mash regime (say 3 Litres of Mash Water to 1 Kg of Grain or approx. 16L of water at 53C), for a first 30 minutes protein rest mash at around 50C (122F) then raise the temperature over the next 15 mins to 68.9C (156F) and hold for another 30 minutes.
- Mash Out - Raise the temperature to mash out at 76C (168F) for 10 minutes.
- Sparge slowly - with 14 litres of 76C (169F) water, collecting wort until the pre-boil volume is around 25 L (6.5 US gal)
- Boil - vigorous boil for 90 mins.
- Add the bittering hop addition with 60 minutes remaining from end of boil.
- 15 minutes from end of boil: Add 2nd hop addition of Sabro, any yeast nutrient and a tab of Deltafloc or 1 tsp of Irish Moss (or other Kettle finings).
- Add third and final hop addition at flameout 0 minutes from end of boil.
- Chill the wort rapidly to 22 °C (72 °F), let the break material settle, rack to the fermenter and aerate thoroughly.
- Begin fermentation at 22 °C (72 °F) and let it free rise temperature to 24 °C (75 °F ).
- Post primary fermentation rack off into separate fermenter or rack off the yeast and slice the vanilla beans lengthwise and open them up. Scrape the tar-like interior of the vanilla bean out of the husk and put it and the husk into the secondary fermenter like a dry hop addition. Wait 2-4 weeks for the vanilla to extract into the beer. Sampling periodically is fun, but not strictly necessary, as it will be difficult to get too much vanilla in the beer.
- When finished, carbonate the beer to approximately 1.7 to 2.3 volumes of CO2.
Food pairing and Glass Match (Snifter or Pint glass)
- Oysters or creamy Seafood Chowder
- Dark Venison or Beef Stew
- Steak Pies
- Boiled Bacon and Cabbage
- American Style BBQ - Ribs or Brisket
- English Stilton and similar mellow blue cheeses
- Dark Chocolate Cake or Brownies
- Rich Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream (Bulla)
BeerCo Recipe Kit Contents:
- Malt - 5.25 Kg (Milled or Unmilled - You Choose)
- Hops - 30g Sabro US Hops
- Yeast - 1 x Liquid Gold Pitch of GY031 British Ale #2 GigaYeast
or 2 x Lallemand Brewing Nottingham Ale Yeast
- Adjuncts - 2 x PNG Grade B Vanilla Beans
- Water mineral adjustments and brewing aids not included (optional).
Sauces of Brewspiration and Further Reading and Viewing on the Style:
Brewing a Beer from History - Obadiah Poundage
Other top rated products
- Enigma AU HopsEnigma™ AU Hops5.0 star rating(5)
- Ella AU HopsElla™ AU Hops4.0 star rating(3)
- GY094 German Ale GigaYeastGY094 German Ale GigaYeast - NEW!4.0 star rating(1)
- Malteurop Pilsen MaltMalteurop Pilsen Malt5.0 star rating(2)
- Galaxy™ AU Hops5.0 star rating(24)
- Citra® US Hops - Brand HBC 3944.95555 star rating(45)
- Mosaic® HBC 369 US Hops4.95652 star rating(23)
- Amarillo® VGXP01 CV. US Hops5.0 star rating(12)
- Reviews (0)