Shaun is not your average Aussie bloke! If he's not busy rousing horses at Luna Farm or keeping us safe from harm during his day job, he's busy doing his bit for the community like organising the Dubbo Show | Homebrew Competition so when Shaun reached out to us and said can you guys whip up a Brewers Kit for entries into the show well the answer was a super loud Yeah! Mate! No worries! Knowing that the fine folk of Dubbo enjoy a good Agricultural Show and have battled a lot of late from mice plagues to lockdowns and crazy weather, we thought we would make sure the recipe was clean refreshing and fruity. A mouth watering lip smacking XPA with a few malts a couple of hops and a reliable yeast to get the job done. Pourfect for a hard day of herding sheep, cattle, horses, crops and craftwork. Keep up the great work Shaun and all the best to the entrants in this years Dubbo Show | Homebrew Competition. We think this is a winner of a recipe but would love to hear your review after you brew and comp happy!
Cheers #enjoyresponsibly #brewhappy #comphappy always #community
Brewing Software Recipe Links:
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21 Litres
- Boil Time: 90 mins
- OG 1.052
- FG 1.010
- IBU 47
- ABV 5.5%
- Colour 7.1 EBC
- Balance - 0.91 IBU/SG Bitterness Ratio
Amt Name Colour % Grist
4.5 Kg Malteurop Pilsen Malt 3.2 EBC 90%
0.25 Kg Crisp Cara Gold Malt 15 EBC 5%
0.25 Kg Crisp Dextrin Malt 3.5 EBC 5%
5.00 Kg TOTAL 7.1 EBC 100%
Amt Name Alpha Acids When Time IBU
25 g El Dorado US Hops [12.40 %] Boil 5 min Hop 18 IBUs
25 g Enigma AU Hops [18.0 %] Boil 5 min Hop 10 IBUs
25 g El Dorado US Hops [12.40 %] Whirlpool 10 min Hop 7 IBUs (aroma)
25 g Enigma AU Hops [18.0 %] Whirlpool 10 min Hop 10 IBUs (aroma)
25 g El Dorado US Hops [12.40 %] Dry Hop 3 days from Day 4 0 IBUs
25 g Enigma AU Hops [18.0 %] Dry Hop 3 days from Day 4 0 IBUs
25 g El Dorado US Hops [12.40 %] Dry Hop 3 days from Day 7 0 IBUs
25 g Enigma AU Hops [18.0 %] Dry Hop 3 days from Day 7 0 IBUs
Water Adjustments: (optional)
- Fill clean Kettle with 15 litres of water at 65 °C. Add Mash Salts - 2 tsp or 10g of Gypsum (Calcium Sulphate)
- Mill the grains and dough-in targeting a mash of around 3 Litres of water to 1 Kg of grain (a liquor-to-grist ratio of about 3:1 by weight) and a temperature of 65 °C. Allow extra water if you have a false bottom in your mash tun.
- Hold the mash at 65 °C until enzymatic conversion is complete for 60 minutes.
- Infuse the mash with near boiling water while stirring or with a recirculating mash system raise the temperature to mash out at 76 °C. Mash out for 10 minutes.
- Fly sparge slowly with 12 Litres of 76 °C (168 °F ) water, collecting wort until the pre-boil kettle volume is around 26 Litres.
- The total boil time will be 90 minutes.
Deltafloc or Irish Moss is added with first hop addition of 25 gram each of El Dorado and Enigma AU Hops at 85 mins in or 5 mins remaining on the boil.
- At flameout, create a whirlpool drop the temperature to 80 °C and hop with 25 grams each of both El Dorado and Enigma AU Hops and circulate and hold for 10 minutes.
- Crash cool wort to 18°C, decant starter or open Liquid Pitch and pitch Omega Yeast or 2 x sachets of dry yeast into pre oxygenated wort.
- Over the course of the two-week fermentation, ramp the temperature up to 22°C to ensure full attenuation.
- On approximately Day 4 of fermentation when high krausen has dropped, add the first dry hop addition of 25 grams each of both El Dorado and Enigma AU Hops and leave for 3 days.
- Wait 3 days, and add the second addition of 25 grams of El Dorado and Enigma AU Hops hops and dry hop for another 3 days. Optional: Remove the first dry hop addition
- After Day 10 when attenuation is fully completed crash cool, drop the hops and yeast and keep cold for a few days before kegging and/or bottling.
- When finished crash conditioning, carbonate the beer to approximately 2.5 volumes (5 g/L) of CO2 (or add 125g of table sugar or 180g of Light Dried Malt Extract if bottling) and drink fresh. Prost!
Sauces of brewspiration: