A regional speciality of Berlin; Berliner Weisse was affectionately referred to by Napoleon's troops in 1809 as “the Champagne of the North” due to its lively and elegant character. This lightly soured low abv Berliner Weisse is designed to taste great straight or form the base for fruit additions and further sour beer fermentation. Helmut would approve and Deeter Sprockets says", Prost!
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21 Litres / 5.25 US Gallons
- Boil Time: 90 mins
- OG 1.028
- FG 1.002
- IBU 6
- ABV 3.5%
- Colour 6 EBC
Amt Name Colour % Grist
1.80 Kg Malteurop Pilsen Malt 3.8 EBC 80%
0.90 Kg Crisp Wheat Malt 4 EBC 15%
2.70 Kg TOTAL 6 EBC 100%
- 25 gm Saaz CZ Hops - Alpha: 2.7% – 15 minutes from end of boil
Water Adjustments (Optional):
- Make bacterial starter 2 weeks before brew day if over 3 months old. Make yeast starter 2–3 days before brew day.
- Heat 7.6 L (2 gal) of strike water to 72 °C and mash at 66 °C for 45 minutes.
- Collect about 11 L (3 gal) of wort and add water to make about 20 Litres (5.33 gallons) of pre-boil wort.
- Option A: Kettle Sour - Allow the wort to cool to 43–49°C (110–120°F) , and pitch your Lacto culture. Kettle sour to the desired perceivable acidity level (should be sharply sour).
- Boil for 15 minutes, adding hops at beginning of boil.
- Option B: Post Boil, Primary/Secondary Sour: Pitch both starters to cooled wort.
- Ferment at 17 °C (62 °F) for one week, then condition for a week or two at 21–27 °C (70–80 °F) in primary fermenter.
- Rack to secondary and if you are going to add fruit or do a prolonged or complex souring in Oak or Glass Carboy do your additions of fruit and/or mixed sour cultures now.
- Prime and bottle condition, or keg and force carbonate.
Target a carbonation level of 3.5 C02 volumes.
Food pairing and Glass Match (Goblet)
- Aged Ham on Pretzel Bread
- Cheesecake with Raspberries
BeerCo Recipe Kit Contents:
- Malt - 2.7 Kg (Milled or Unmilled - You Choose)
- Hops - 25g Saaz CZ Hop Pellets
- Yeast - 1 x Liquid Gold Pitch of GB122 Berliner Blend GigaYeast
or 1 x 10g of Lallemand Wildbrew Sour Pitch Lactobacillus Plantarum + 1 x 11.5g of Fermentis K-97 Safale
- Brewing Aids - not included. Water adjustments optional.
Credits & Sauces of Brewspiration & Further Reading on the Style: