Ichika Japanese Sake Style Rice Wine is a nice quick and easy to mix and ferment Rice Wine. Moderate in alcohol and high in purity and taste this will have you coming back for more. Ichika comes from the land of 1,000 flowers and she relishes her afternoon walks through the cherry blossom trees and finds peace in the quiet areas surrounding her local temple. At night Ichika likes to go out with friends enjoying some fine food and her favourite local sake. Ichika sometimes goes on on to karoke until the wee hours of the morning with her best friends. Ichika comes to life after sunset!
Kanpai | Cheers
- SG Target: 1.078
- FG Target: 1.000
- ALC: 11%
- Batch: 20 L
- Boil Time: 0 mins
Ingredients Required (Not Included In Kit):
- 400g of White Rice from your local Asian Grocery Store.
Make Koji Starter
- Sterilise all equipment with alcohol or vinegar
- Soak rice in water for 12-24 hours
- Steam 400g rice until cooked (Do Not use rice cooker, as rice will be too soggy)
- Sprinkle Koji Starter 6g over cooled rice and mix thoroughly
- Ideally keep in a warm humid environment until fermentation begins (approx. 24 hours at 35-38 degrees)
- Keep Koji moist using a damp cloth
- Keep temperature under 40 degrees, breaking up and mixing Koji if needed
- After 50 hours the Koji should start to give off sweet chestnut smell, it is now ready to use.
Make Rice Wine
Dissolve 5L Clarified Rice Syrup in 15 L of water at 60-70℃ (aim for a pH 7.0), stir vigorously. Top up water (with cooler water) to reach 25L and leave to cool until below 30℃
While waiting for water to cool, prop up the yeast by following directions on the packet.
Add the Still Spirits | Glucoamylase and one packet of LALVIN | EC-1118 3g yeast to the wash when under 30℃, stir in and sprinkle the rehydrated Koji on top.
Hold temp between 15-25 the lower the temp the longer the fermentation the better the end result. (recommended 16-18℃ for 3 week fermentation)
Regularly aerate the wash for the first couple of days and perform a staggered yeast nutrient on days 2, 3 and 5 (20g of Still Spirits | Yeast Nutrient Light)
- When FG reaches 1.000 and fermentation has stopped cold crash for 24-48 hours to let yeast and koji settle at the bottom and top.
- Syphon out or filter out the liquid, avoiding the koji rice and yeast deposits floating at the top and bottom of the liquid.
- Now sit back and relax and enjoy your fermented rice wine (Sake) with some sashimi. ABV 11%
Further Reading and Watching and Knowledge Sources on Sake: