Ruby is an ode to all things good about a classic style and a country single! An ode to the old country - mother England. Deep toffee malt with a pine nose, Ruby is a powerful mild but with the balance you would expect from this style, not too roasted or coffee like. Crisp Crystal 240 Malt brings a treacle toffee flavour and aroma and the chocolate provides depth and balance to the sweetness and body.
Ruby, are you contemplating
Going out somewhere?
The shadow on the wall
Tells me the sun is going down
Don't take your love to town
Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town (written by Mel Tillis, "Ruby" was first recorded by Waylon Jennings in 1966. Johnny Darrell in 1967, and Kenny Rogers and The First Edition released it in 1969.
Hop you enjoy Ruby Strong Mild. Cheers #brewhappy always
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 23 Litres / 6 US Gallons
- Mash and Boil Times: 60 mins
- OG 1.048
- FG 1.013
- IBU 23
- ABV 4.6%
- Colour 39 EBC
4.40 Kg Best Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) 88%
0.35 Kg Medium Crystal 240 Malt (270 EBC) 7%
0.15 Kg Amber Malt (65 EBC) 3%
0.10 Kg Chocolate Malt (1155 EBC) 2%
5.00 Kg TOTAL 39 EBC 100%
- 10 gm Jester UK Hop Pellets - Alpha: 8.4 % – 60 minutes boil addition
- 20 gm Jester UK Hop Pellets - Alpha: 8.4 % – 15 minutes from end of boil
- 20 gm Jester UK Hop Pellets - Alpha: 8.4 % – 20 minutes whirlpool/hop stand at 80C
Liquid | Omega Yeast
Water: (optional - not included in Kit)
- Mill the grains and dough-in targeting a liquor to mash ratio of 2.7 or approx. 3 Litres of water to 1 Kg of grain around 13.5 Litres of water and a single infusion temperature of 67 °C. Make any water adjustments prior to mixing in the grain.
- Sparge: Fly Sparge slowly with 17 Litres of 77 °C (170 °F) water, collecting wort until the pre-boil kettle volume is around 25 L.
- Boil: 60 minutes. 1st Hop with 10g of Jester at 60 min and 2nd Hop with 20g of Jester at 15 minutes. Add Yeast Nutrient with 15 mins of boil remaining. Final hop addition of another 20g of Jester at flameout for a whirlpool or hop stand of 20 mins at 80 °C.
- Cool wort and transfer to the primary fermenter oxygenating wort and pitching Liquid Omega or Lallemand Brewing Nottingham Ale Yeast at 23° C.
- Fermentation: Let free ride up to 23<span>° C and primary fermentation to take its natural cause before racking or Yeast off and secondary conditioning.
- Packaging: Bottle or keg at 7–10 days from the start of fermentation (or longer if needed for clarity and complete fermentation). Shoot for around 2.0 volumes of CO, depending on how effervescent you like your British Ales!
- Bring up to beer cellar temperature 6-8°C and pour into a Tall British Pint or Pot glass, slip off your Hi-Vis Brewers or Work Shirt and enjoy responsibly, with a healthy dose of Kenny Rogers playing Ruby...or whatever your heart desires!
- Food pairing - Big, intense dishes such as roast beef, lamb or game, grilled or roasted. Double Gloucester or other rich, moderately aged cheese. Spiced plum-walnut tart, classic canolli, toffee apple crisp.
BeerCo Recipe Kit Contents:
- Crisp Malt - 5.0 Kg
- Hops - 50g of UK Jester Hops
- Yeast - 1 x Omega Liquid Pitch or 2 x LalBrew Dry Yeast Sachets
Credits & Sauces of Brewspiration & Further Reading on the Style:
- Crisp Strong Mild Recipe
- Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild