Back in the days before Prohibition, cream ales were widely brewed in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic United States, where they were often produced to compete with the new arrivals of European golden lagers. This classic style bears a resemblance to a German kölsch. Light, creamy, golden in colour and totally sessionable it was the Ale brewers of the day answer to the Lager brewers of the day! We have taken brewspiration from a modern classic take on this style from Darron Welch at Pelican Brewery in Pacific City, Oregon. This is a bright golden ale that drinks like a lager and has some lovely US Hop notes to keep you coming back for more! So, what are you waiting for???
Cheers! #Darron #CreamAle #ClassicStyles #enjoyresponsibly
Brewfather App Recipe Kit Guidance
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 21 Litres / 5.25 US Gallons
- Boil Time: 60 mins
- OG 1.054
- FG 1.014
- IBU 16
- ABV 5.3%
- Colour 7.9 EBC
Amt Name Colour % Grist
4.25 Kg Malteurop Pilsen Malt 3.8 EBC 85%
0.50 Kg UniGrain Rolled Barley 1.5 EBC 10% (Do Not Mill)
0.25 Kg Crisp Dextrin Malt 2.9 EBC 5%
5.00 Kg TOTAL 7.9 EBC 100%
Whirlpool / Knockout / Hop Stand:
- 80 gm Crystal US Hops - Alpha: 3.1% - 20 minutes whirlpool aroma hop stand at 80C or slightly below.
Water Adjustments (Optional):
- Adjust your local water to a soft lager or Cream Ale Style - a good reference material here for Melbourne Brewers
- 5g or 1 tsp of Calcium Sulphate (Gypsum) into mash water.
- 5g or 1 tsp of Calcium Chloride into mash water.
- (Note: Minerals are not included in the Kit, you can add them at cart before checkout)
- Single Infusion | Medium Body | Mash In - Do your normal mash regime (approx. 15 Litres of Mash Water to 5 Kg of Grain or the 3:1 water:grain rule), mashing in at around 66-67C for at least 60 mins
- Mash off - Infuse mash with near boiling water while stirring or with recirculating mash system raise temp to mash out at 76C for 10 minutes.
- Fly Sparge slowly - once again the brewer should do normal their normal fly sparge regime in terms of adding approx. 12 Litres of 76C water to hit pre-boil volumes of approx. 24L and post boil into fermenter of approx. 23 litres should suffice.
- Boil - vigorous boil for 60 mins, with your first kettle hop addition at 60 minutes from end of boil.
- Yeast Nutrient and Wort Clarification: 10 minutes from end of boil: Optional here to add yeast nutrient and a tab of Deltafloc or a tsp of Irish Moss (not included in kit)
- Second hop addition of 80g of Crystal US Hops for a 20 minute hop stand or whirlpool addition at or around 80C before moving to crash cooling and into the fermenter.
- Yeast: If over three months old make a Yeast Starter 3 days prior to brewing.
- Cool wort and transfer to the primary fermenter oxygenating wort and pitching
BSY-A010 San Diego Bluestone Yeast - 1 x Packet OR Lallemand Brewing BRY-97 American West Coast Beer Yeast - 2 x 11g Sachets and ferment at 18°C for the primary fermentation (first 3-4 days) then allow to free rise to 18°C for the secondary fermentation (next 3-4 days) until final gravity is reached, of two consecutive days of final gravity readings.
Move into a keg or secondary airtight fermentation vessel for cold conditioning at or below 2°C for if possible a full 28 days.
- Drink Fresh or Lager (store cold) for a few more weeks. Prost!
Food pairing and Glass Match (Lager Glass or Tulip)
- Pulled Pork or BBQ
BeerCo Recipe Kit Contents:
- Malt - 5 Kg (Milled or Unmilled - You Choose) Note: Flaked Barley will not be milled and should not be milled.
- Hops - 100g Crystal US Hops T90 Hop Pellets or closest eqivalent if out of stock.
- Yeast - Liquid | Bluestone
Dry | Lallemand Brewing
- Brewing Aids - not included. Water adjustments optional.