Mike loves nothing better than a piece of gingerbread with a warming winter stout by the fire so he thought why not combine two of his favourite loves - voilà! Brewed Big with 6 malts, kilned oats and candi syrup there is also a delicious tincture of spices that go in late into the boil and secondary fermentation to give Mike | Gingerbread Stout all the layers of complexity your looking for this from this beer. Well, what are you waiting for?
Cheers! #brewhappy #drinkhappier #enjoyresponsibly
Brewing Software Recipe Links:
Batch & Boil
- Batch Size: 23 Litres
- Boil Time: 60 mins
- OG 1.074
- FG 1.015
- IBU 49
- ABV 7.7%
- Colour 113 EBC
- BU/GU 0.66
Amt Name Colour % Grist
4.00 Kg Malteurop Pilsen Malt (3.6 EBC) 54%
1.00 Kg Crisp Dark Munich Malt (45 EBC) 14%
0.50 Kg Joe White Black Malt (1440 EBC) 7%
0.50 Kg Gladfield Dark Crystal Malt (200 EBC) 7%
0.40 Kg Gladfield Gladiator Malt (7.5 EBC) 6%
0.40 Kg UniGrain Kilned Dried Hulled Oats (3 EBC) 6%
0.25 Kg Gladfield Aurora Malt (50 EBC) 3%
0.15 Kg Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (320 EBC) 2%
7.20 Kg TOTAL (113 EBC) 100%
Spice Tincture Ingredients:
- Create spice tincture five days prior to brewing. To do this, add spices to a glass jar, cover with vodka, screw on lid, shake to mix thoroughly. This tincture will be divided into two equal amounts and account for both tincture additions (or split the ingredients into two jars from the start and make two separate tinctures).
- On brew day, starting with reverse osmosis water (25 Litres), add salts toward a dark brown beer profile — sulfate:chloride ratio of about 0.7. Mash in Pilsen, Munich, Rolled Oats and Gladiator via underlet to stabilize temperature at 66 °C, then wait 30 minutes. Add remaining grains to top of mash after 30 minutes, shallow mix these grains into the mash.
- Vorlauf for another 30 minutes (60 mins total mash time), then ramp up to Mash Out at 77 °C (170 °F) for 10 mins. Fly Sparge slowly with 8-9 Litres of water, collecting wort until the pre-boil kettle volume is around 25.0 L. to boil kettle.
- Add Hops at 60 mins at the start of boil.
- 10 minutes boil remaining:
- Add Candi Syrup at 10 mins from end of the boil.
- Optional: add Deltafloc tablet or Irish Moss and Yeast Nutrient with 10 mins of boil remaining.
- For the first spice tincture — add the spices to a strainer bag, place it into boil at 10 minutes remaining in the boil. Do not discard the vodka. Pour in vodka at flameout.
- Whirlpool for 15 minutes.
- Pitch yeast at 20 °C and hold temperature for the duration of active fermentation. After one week drop yeast cone (or rack to secondary) and add second tincture (both the spices and vodka) into fermenter. Let stand for at least one week. Force carbonate to 2.3 v/v or bottle and prime with sugar.
- Bring up to beer cellar temperature 8-10°C pour slowly into a goblet glass, put on your slippers and smoking jacket, light a fire, kick back and relax and enjoy responsibly, Prost!
- Food compliments - Gingerbread cookies, rich dark chocolate puddings, heavy meat dishes e.g. Steak, Hungarian Goulash, Pies and Beef and Lamb Roast. Samores and Candy Cane Brownies.
BeerCo Recipe Kit Contents:
Spice Tincture Ingredients:
- Malt - 7.2 Kg
- Hops - 30g
- Adjuncts - 454g / 1lb of D-240 Premium XX Dark Candi Syrup
- Yeast - 2 x LalBrew Dry Yeast Sachets or 1 x Bluestone Yeast Liquid Pitch
Not Included in Recipe Kit:
Sauces of Brewspiration: